ADvocate » Champion the Cause
United for ALICE®
United Way of Northern New Jersey believes that improving life for all begins with improving life for ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed).
When ALICE struggles, we all feel the impact. The 890,000 ALICE households in New Jersey that live paycheck to paycheck are the backbone of our communities and our economy. When we work together, we have an opportunity to help ALICE and strengthen the health and well-being of our state for all residents.
ALICE Needs You
Join United Way in changing the course for struggling families. You can take action immediately by signing the "Pledge to Support ALICE."
Click here to sign the pledge electronically.
If you prefer, you can download a hard copy of the pledge below. Then, sign it and email
to Kiran Gaudioso or mail to:
United Way of Northern New Jersey
Attn: Kiran Gaudioso
P.O. Box 1948
Morristown, NJ 07962
PDF Download the "Pledge to Support ALICE"
Spread the Word
Let everyone know you are supporting ALICE and encourage others to join the movement on social media using the hashtag #UnitedForALICE.
Upload photos with examples of how you’re doing your part. We can’t wait to see all your incredible work!
Don’t forget to follow the conversation on United Way’s Facebook and Twitter.
Taking Action for ALICE
There are many ways United Way is advocating on behalf of working families. See below for examples of how we’re standing up for ALICE and how you can get involved.
- Click here to write Congress and let your elected officials know you care about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) – the nation's strongest pro-work, anti-poverty tools.
- Read our letter to Congress advocating to make permanent key provisions of the EITC and CTC.
- Read our testimony before the New Jersey Legislature’s Senate Education Committee on the importance of quality early childhood education and access to preschool.
- Read our testimony to the state Department of Human Services calling for a new funding model to help ALICE families access quality early childhood education.
- Click here for a sample proclamation in honor of National Family Caregivers Month that the governing boards of local communities and counties can adopt to recognize the value of unpaid family caregivers.