NEWS & EVENTS » Our Community News
Archive of Past News
United Way Brings Holiday Cheer to the Community through Local Drives and Donations
As we embark on the holiday season this month, it is important to remember that in these challenging economic times some of our friends, family, and neighbors are struggling to afford the most basic necessities – heating for their homes, food, or a winter coat.
Nearly 770,000 ALICE families and individuals in New Jersey are finding it harder than ever to keep their heads above water. Local service providers will again face tough decisions as to how they will meet the ever-growing need with shrinking resources.
There is some good news. You can help!
This holiday season do more than just wear the LIVE UNITED t-shirt. Live the credo by getting involved in your community. United Way of Northern New Jersey has a variety of opportunities to GIVE and VOLUNTEER to help spread holiday cheer across the region.
1. Honor a loved one with a gift to United Way.
Consider making a donation – large or small – to United Way of Northern New Jersey. Every little bit makes a difference and helps us make a lasting impact on our communities. Click here to GIVE today.
2. Make a neighbor’s holiday brighter – and warmer – through the United Way Gifts of the Season and Wrapped in Love programs.
United Way is bringing holiday cheer and much-needed warm clothing to Somerset County residents who need it most. Without our help, many children, teens, seniors, and adults with disabilities would not have the means to stay warm or receive holiday gifts this year.
There are four easy ways to get involved:
- Fulfill an individual’s wish: Obtain a gift tag with the name and gift wish of someone in our community so you can fulfill their holiday wish.
- Organize a gift drive: Collect specific items to help United Way fulfill the holiday wishes of those most in need. We will be collecting gift cards, household items for seniors and adults with disabilities, electronic items for teens, and toys for children.
- Coordinate a winter apparel drive: Collect gently used and new coats for children and young adults, plus new winter apparel including gloves, hats, thermal underwear, and socks to help those less fortunate.
- Volunteer to help organize and distribute these items to families and individuals in need.
Gifts will be collected on Thursday, December 6 and Friday, December 7. To get involved and for more information on drop-off locations, email Evanyini Perez or call 908.253.6537.
Click here for more information about these programs or to donate online.
3. Help community members stay warm this winter through the Gift of Warmth new coat drive.
In Sussex County, United Way teams up with the New Jersey Herald and other local agencies to provide new coats, winter hats, and gloves for families and individuals in need. Coats and winter apparel will be collected Monday, November 19 through Friday, December 14. Drop-off locations will be available throughout the county.
For questions or to donate a coat, email Sean Hyland or call 973.579.3040.
Click here to make an online donation.
4. Donate to the United Way Holiday Fund.
Every year, the United Way Holiday Fund raises money to provide emergency food and financial assistance to families with children and seniors in need in our North Essex communities. Through generous donations, United Way is able to work with local human service agencies to help those who would otherwise face a very bleak holiday season.
For questions, email Elizabeth Rodriguez or call 973.746.4040, x201.
Click here to learn more or to GIVE to the Holiday Fund.
“United Way invites you to Live United this holiday season by giving and volunteering in your community,” said John Franklin, CEO at United Way of Northern New Jersey. “You have the power to create lasting change across the region. All donations, regardless of their size or nature, make a difference in the lives of our friends, family, and neighbors who are struggling.”