Our Work » INCOME
United Way Gateways to Financial Empowerment
How We Help — Free Tax Preparation
Free Tax Sites
During tax season, United Way of Northern New Jersey works with community partners and IRS-certified volunteers to offer free tax preparation sites across the region. Beginning each February, we assist ALICE® (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) and those in poverty with this free service.
If you have a simple return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, Schedules A & B), you can utilize these free tax sites. Day, evening, and weekend hours are available by appointment only. Sites open in February and remain available through Tax Day*. Please note: Tax preparation is not available for businesses, stockholders, or landlords.
Three Easy Ways to Schedule Your Free Tax Preparation Appointment
- Anyone in New Jersey can dial 2-1-1 to be connected to a local tax site. Click here for a full list of free tax sites in the state.
- Northern New Jersey residents living in the following counties and towns can make appointments by calling 973.993.1160, x5:
- Morris, Somerset, Sussex, and Warren Counties
- Portions of suburban Essex County: the Caldwells, Cedar Grove, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Glen Ridge, Livingston, Millburn-Short Hills, Montclair, Roseland, and Verona
- Northern New Jersey residents can also make appointments online by clicking on the links below:
- Click here if you live in Millburn, Short Hills, or any town in Somerset, Sussex, or Warren counties
- Click here if you live in Suburban Essex
* We can help with back taxes. For more information, call Monica Conover at 973.993.1160, x529.
File a Return Online for Free
MyFreeTaxes provides community members with a free online service to file taxes from their personal computer. Families and individuals with household incomes of $62,000 or less in 2015 are qualified to use this website for both federal and state returns. Click here to learn more.
Anyone needing help while filing a return can call 1.855.MY.TX.HELP (1.855.698.9435) to be connected with a qualified tax volunteer. English and Spanish support is available.