Our Work » INCOME
United Way Gateways to Financial Empowerment
How We Help — Free Tax Preparation
Free Tax Sites
During tax season, United Way of Northern New Jersey works with community partners and IRS-certified volunteers to offer free tax preparation sites across the region. Beginning each February, we assist ALICE® (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) and those in poverty with this free service.
If you have a simple return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, Schedules A & B), you can utilize these free tax sites. Day, evening, and weekend hours are available by appointment only. Sites open in February and remain available through Tax Day*. Please note: Tax preparation is not available for businesses, stockholders, or landlords.
Three Easy Ways to Schedule Your Free Tax Preparation Appointment
- Anyone in New Jersey can dial 2-1-1 to be connected to a local tax site. Click here for a full list of free tax sites in the state.
- Northern New Jersey residents living in the following counties and towns can make appointments by calling 973.993.1160, x5:
- Morris, Somerset, Sussex, and Warren Counties
- Portions of suburban Essex County: the Caldwells, Cedar Grove, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Glen Ridge, Livingston, Millburn-Short Hills, Montclair, Roseland, and Verona
- Northern New Jersey residents can also make appointments online by clicking on the links below:
- Click here if you live in Millburn, Short Hills, or any town in Somerset, Sussex, or Warren counties, or if you plan to schedule an appointment to have your taxes prepared at Interfaith Food Pantry in Morris Plains.
- Click here if you live in Suburban Essex.
* We can help with back taxes. For more information, call Monica Conover at 973.993.1160, x529.
File a Return Online for Free
MyFreeTaxes provides community members with a free online service to file taxes from their personal computer. Families and individuals with household incomes of $64,000 or less in 2016 are qualified to use this website for both federal and state returns. Click here to learn more.
Anyone needing help while filing a return can call 1.855.MY.TX.HELP (1.855.698.9435) to be connected with a qualified tax volunteer. English and Spanish support is available.