Our Work » INCOME
United Way Gateways to Financial Empowerment
How We Help — Free Tax Preparation
Free Tax Sites
During tax season, United Way of Northern New Jersey works with community partners and IRS-certified volunteers to offer free tax preparation sites across the region. Beginning each February, we assist low-income and ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) families and individuals with this free service.
If you have a simple return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, Schedules A & B), you can utilize these free tax sites. Day, evening, and weekend hours are available by appointment only. Sites open in February and remain available through Tax Day*. Please note: Tax preparation is not available for businesses, stockholders, or landlords.
Three easy ways to schedule your free tax preparation appointment
- Anyone in New Jersey can dial 2-1-1 to be connected to a local tax site. Click here for a full list of free tax sites in the state.
- Northern New Jersey residents can make appointments by calling the numbers listed below:
- If you live in Morris, Sussex, or Warren counties, call 888.387.9830, x3502
- If you live in Somerset County, Millburn, or Short Hills, call 908.253.6521
- If you live in Suburban Essex**, call 877.652.1148, x27
- Northern New Jersey residents can also make appointments online by clicking on the links below:
- Click here if you live in Millburn, Short Hills, or any town in Somerset, Sussex, or Warren counties
- Click here if you live in Suburban Essex
* We can help with back taxes. For more information, call Monica Conover at 973.993.1160, x529.
** United Way of Northern New Jersey serves portions of suburban Essex County including, the Caldwells, Cedar Grove, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Glen Ridge, Livingston, Montclair, Roseland, and Verona.
File a return online for free
United Way partners with MyFreeTaxes to provide community members with a free online service to file taxes from their personal computer. Families and individuals with a combined income under $62,000 in 2015 are qualified to use this website. Click here to learn more!
Anyone needing help while filing a return can call 1.855.MY.TX.HELP (1.855.698.9435) to be connected with a qualified tax volunteer who can answer questions. This helpline is open Monday through Saturday.